Ok, picked up some block connectors at the local hardware store today. They didn’t have any of that fibreglass clad cable so I just went with what I had to hand. It’ll do 🙂
The above shows the use of a 5A connector – that should be more than enough for a 240V 620W oven.
I stole the neutral lead out of some flex I had kicking around. It looks a bit on the thin side but I can’t help but feel it must be enough for this application. Doing it this way keeps the relay well off to the side where it shouldn’t really get that hot.
I’m trying to use up the stranded wire I bought so I have yellow as GND and brown for the “+” pin which turns the relay on. There doesn’t seem to be much danger of the low voltage and mains coming into contact, unless the relay melts, or something.
A simple hole drilled in one of the indentations in the case and some hot glue for strain relief and that’s the control part taken care of.
I’ve tested everything – nothing blew up 🙂 The oven is now controlled by a high signal on the brown wire. Time to get on with sorting out the software – mostly adding the PID library and implementing a state machine to cover reflow oven functionality. Of course, I stll need to add connections to the controller box to control the relay but that’s just “plug and play” so I’ll get it done soon.
All looking good so far 🙂